Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Hupp in the Shopp

We recently finished a few repairs on our 1928 Hupmobile Opera Coupe that we'd been putting off since last fall.  It needed some wiring work to correct some mistakes from a past of poorly planned and executed repairs, which led to burned up wires and such minor things. We also rebuilt the u-joints on the drive line, made bushings to tighten up the crosses and gave it a good service Many thanks to the volunteers that helped out our Hupp.


The car will now be going into storage till spring (in preparation for some new cars that will arrive in a few months). I expect it will get a few miles on it from the folks at the main office, as they plan to use it for errands around town.

Willy

11 comments:

  1. What's this "...we'd been putting off" business? Fixing the Hupp wasn't on MY to-do list! ;-)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to driving it around town come spring! While your servicing it - how about putting in a radio, and a synchro in the tranny would be nice too. :-)
    Derik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to drive it on my sales calls!
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone who drives it should be required to wear a "what's hupp?" shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to drive it too, but was told I would have to take intensive lessons. Who wants to give me lessons?
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well Cass, they'll have to be a backseat driver, cause there ain't no passenger seat. But if you can drive a stick shift without using a clutch, you'll do just fine....

    D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really? How do you drive a stick shift without a clutch? That sounds dangerous. What car, would you say, is the easiet to drive?

    ReplyDelete
  8. first thing is that we dont drive stick shift cars without using the clutch::: we double clutch all standard shift cars so as not to grind the gears. I think one of the easiest cars to drive are the model T's, however most people find them hard to learn and get used to, if you sign up and put in some volunteer time I can teach you to drive one. hows that sound?????
    willy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry I mis-spoke, Double clutching the Hupp does work, so long as you come to a complete stop first. :-)
    I think the Model A is the easiest to drive. You still need to double clutch it but other than that it's as easy as any other. Still no radio, but you'll be on your cell phone the whole time anyway, so you don't want TOO many distractions.
    D.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are very funny, Derik. On my cell phone. Ha. Yes, please. Sign me up. When do I come in? I also want to learn some inside scoop and volunteer to lead some tours. Is this possible?
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  11. Starting this Wednesday night, and each wed. in April - Docent training classes. Call Nancy to sign up!
    D.

    ReplyDelete

Blogging about the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum's latest news, adventures and research